Board of Directors
ANNA is actively seeking talented people to serve on our Board of Directors. This essential work is rewarding and important - and you get to serve with a great group of people! Please complete the Board Member Application, if you are interesting in serving on the ANNA Crusis Board of Directors.
Board of Directors Responsibilities
The Anna Crusis Board is responsible, as the governing body of the organization, for the fulfillment of its mission and accountable for the organization’s operation. The responsibilities of the Board are as follows:
- Provide a vision of what the organization could be and serve as guardian of the mission and core values
- Clarify and maintain the organization's mission and purpose
- Define strategic directions
- Ensure comprehensive, effective long-range planning
- Ensure constituents’ needs are served and services provided which reflect the mission and direction
- Formulate and establish policies
- Oversee board standing and ad hoc committees
- Assess the board's performance
- Plan for board succession
- Ensure long-range financial stability
- Ensure resources are managed effectively and provide high quality programs
- Provide leadership and participate in fund raising initiatives
- Enhance the organization's public image
- Influence others to support the organization
- Actively support the organization in the community
- Understand and be committed to the mission, values and goals of the organization.
- Follow and understand trends in the industry.
- Ensure boards of directors’ responsibilities are achieved.
- Ensure accountability to constituencies in an ethical and business-like manner.
- Prepare for and attend monthly board meetings and annual retreats.
- Serve as an active committee member or corporate officer.
- Inspire and lead.
- Contribute to a sense of camaraderie and team work.
- Ask good questions, expect good answers and contribute to decision making.
- Serve as a resource in particular area of expertise.
- Support the organization with a financial contribution consistent with individual means.
- Support fund raising efforts by personally soliciting gifts, identifying and making connections with potential donors and/or providing leadership in fund raising initiatives.
- Link organization with community resources.
- Serve as a spokesperson.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS AND SKILLS
GENERAL BOARD MEMBERSHIP / MEMBER-AT-LARGE REQUIREMENTS
- Self-motivated and action oriented.
- Flexible, articulate, people-oriented; able to collaborate with both staff and committees.
- Willing and able to work at both strategic and operational levels.
- Known to be a person of integrity and therefore able to contribute to establishing and protecting the organization’s integrity.
- Past service as a Board member of a nonprofit organization desirable, with past service as Board officer a plus.
In addition to the above general characteristics, we are specifically seeking Board members with the following skills and experience:
- Experienced financial planning professional.
- Able to take a leadership role in developing a long-range financial plan to insure Anna Crusis’ long-term sustainability.
- Able to serve as Treasurer, ensuring that all required reports are submitted to the Internal
- Revenue Service, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and any other governmental body. Prepare a financial report for each regular meeting of the Board of Directors.
FINANCIAL MANAGER / ACCOUNTANT
- Sole proprietor, partner or high level manager in an established financial institution
- Knowledge of audits and preparation of financial documents for nonprofit organizations.
- Able to tap his/her organization and professional colleagues for tax advice, in-kind services such as printing and/or marketing resources, cash contribution and occasional use of meeting space.
- Experience in providing advice on major financial management and accounting issues.
- Able to oversee and work with the organization’s bookkeeper.
- Able to serve as Treasurer, with the responsibilities of ensuring that all required reports are submitted to the Internal Revenue Service, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and any other governmental body. Prepare a financial report for each regular meeting of the Board of Directors.
- Active organizer within the Philadelphia/Tri-state community.
- Knowledge of progressive community outreach organizations in the Tri-state area which are consistent with Anna Crusis’ mission.
- Knowledge of communications and marketing tools; radio, TV, flyers, web, email, and events sources that connect with a broad range of people and community groups.
- Able to access his/her company or organization for in-kind services such as printing and/or marketing resources, cash.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and bring together diverse groups.
MARKETING / PUBLIC RELATIONS
- Experienced marketing/public relations professional with media and web marketing knowledge and experience.
- Has extensive network of business, media and community contacts and is able to access additional marketing/public relations support as needed. Able to access sources for corporate grant making and in-kind services such as printing and/or marketing resources, and occasional use of meeting or performing space.
- Experienced with project management and coordination and the development, coordination and production of marketing and press materials.
- Knowledgeable about the regional arts community.
- Able to take a leadership role in developing marketing and public relations strategies, to insure the Choir's long-term stability.
- Creative, enthusiastic.
- Able to serve on/chair the Marketing Committee and act as Public Relations Director.
- Experience as a professional or volunteer fundraiser in any or all of these areas: corporate, foundation, annual giving, special events and cultivating individual donors.
- Knowledge of private, public, government and corporate grant sources with particular knowledge of local funding sources.
- Creative approach to development of nontraditional sources of income.
- Possess extensive network of contacts and is able to contribute towards fundraising efforts that include strategizing, soliciting donations and accessing in-kind services such as printing and/or marketing resources, and occasional use of meeting or performing space
- Highly organized and self-motivated.
- Capable of a leadership role in developing an overall fundraising plan and execution of specific fundraising events.
Please complete the Board Member Application, if you are interesting in serving on the ANNA Crusis Board of Directors.